Veterans and Air/Army National Guard Members who meet certain criteria are eligible for tuition waivers at the University of Connecticut. Waivers cover only the costs of tuition for accredited, credit-bearing programs at undergraduate and graduate levels. In order to qualify for either waiver, you must be matriculated (accepted and active) in a degree or certificate program at the University of Connecticut. Certain degree and certificate programs do not charge tuition in the traditional meaning of the word. For programs that do not charge tuition, the amount waived is calculated by multiplying the amount of credits taken in a given term by the current In-State per-credit tuition cost, as posted by the Office of the Bursar (www.bursar.uconn.edu). NOTE: The waiver will never exceed the amount charged for 9 credits at the Graduate level or 12 credits at the Undergraduate level. For the 2017-2018 academic year, the waivers will not exceed $7250 at the Graduate level and $5999 at the Undergraduate level.
Other charges, such as for books, student activity and course fees, parking, and room and board, are not waived, and at no time will the amount waived be more than the tuition portion of the fee bill.
National Guard Tuition Waiver:
The National Guard Tuition Waiver is available for all academic terms.
To qualify for the Air/Army National Guard Tuition Waiver the veteran must be a matriculated student and meet both of the following requirements:
- Be a member in good standing of the CT Air/Army National Guard.
- Be a matriculated student at the University of Connecticut.
How do I apply?
- Students must contact their Readiness NCO or Orderly Room at their National Guard Units to apply for the waiver. The packet will go through the Chain of Command and get submitted to UConn’s VAMP Office.
- If you will be requesting a Federal Benefit (Such as CH 1606 – MGiB Select Guard and Reserve) you will also need to fill out a Form D (available under “FORMS”) prior to each term.
State Veterans Tuition Waiver:
The State Veterans Tuition Waiver is available to students for all academic terms at UConn.
To receive the State Veterans Tuition Waiver, qualified veterans must be admitted, matriculated students. The tuition waiver also applies toward programs like UConn’s BGS and MBA programs. For these programs, the amount of the waiver is the equivalent of the in-state per credit tuition rate multiplied by the amount of credits being taken in a given term.
To qualify for the State Veterans Tuition Waiver at UConn, the veteran must meet all of the following requirements
- Be honorably discharged or released under honorable conditions from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces (U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Cost Guard). National Guard members, activated under Title 10 of the United States Code, are also included.
- Have served at least 90 days active duty in time of war (see Periods of Service here: http://www.ct.gov/ctva/cwp/view.asp?A=2014&Q=290874) except if separated from service earlier because of a federal Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) related service-connected disability; or the war, campaign or operation lasted less than 90 days and service was for the duration. This service must be active duty other than for training.
- Be accepted as an admitted, matriculated student at the University of Connecticut.
- Be domiciled in Connecticut at the time of acceptance for admission, which includes domicile for less than one year.
For additional information, contact the UConn VAMP Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (860)486-2442.
How do I apply?
- Complete and return the State Veterans Tuition Waiver Form, available here: CT State Veteran Tuition Waiver Application
- Send a certified copy, notarized copy, or your original DD-214 (Member-4 or Service-2, 7 or 8 copies only) to our office to determine eligibility.
- Provide ONE document from group 1, OR TWO documents from group 2
- GROUP 1
- Copy of a mortgage statement in your name for a CT address.
- Copy of your current valid CT Driver’s license or State ID
- Copy of a current and valid CT vehicle registration in your name
- GROUP 2
- Tax returns in your name with a CT address
- CT Voter Registration Card in your name
- Current Cell Phone or Utility Bill in your name for a CT Address
In order to verify your DD-214 and expedite the processing of your application, you can visit the Veterans Point of Contact at the nearest UConn campus. They can verify your DD-214 and electronically scan the verified document to our office in Storrs. You can find a list of POC’s here: http://veterans.uconn.edu/regional-campuses/. Please contact the POC prior to arrival on campus to make an appointment.