National Guard and Veterans’ Tuition Waiver
By law, veterans and Guard Members who meet certain criteria are eligible for tuition waivers at the University of Connecticut, Connecticut State University and Community colleges. Waivers cover only the costs of tuition for accredited programs at undergraduate and graduate levels. Other charges- such as books, student activities, room and board and parking are not covered.
National Guard Waiver:[CGS § 10a-105, P.A 05-03 Sec.18 (4)]
To be eligible for the Air/Army National Guard tuition waiver the applicant must (1) be a member in good standing of the Air/Army guard and (2) be accepted for admission on a full time or part-time basis in a undergraduate degree-granting program.
How do I apply?
- Students must contact their Education Service Officer at their National Guard Units to apply for the waiver. Each semester the Bursar Office receives the list of all students who are eligible for the waiver from their Army/Air National Guard units.
Veterans’ Tuition Waiver: [CGS § 10a-105, CGS § 27-103, P.A 05-03 Sec.18 (3)]
To qualify for the waiver, the veteran must meet the following requirements:
- be honorably discharged or released under honorable conditions from active service in the U.S. Armed Forces (U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Cost Guard). National Guard members, activated under Title 10 of the United States Code, are also included.
- have served atlease 90 days active dute in time of war (see Periods of Service at links below) except if separated from service earlier because of a federal Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) related service-connected disability; or the war, campaign or operation lasted less than 90 days and service was for the duration.
- be accepted for admission at a Connecticut public college or university.
- be domiciled in Connecticut at the time of acceptance, which includes domicile for less than one year.
How do I apply?
- Complete and return the Connecticut Tuition Waiver: CT_Tuition_Waiver.
- Send a certified copy, notarized copy or your original DD-214 (member 4) to our office to determine eligibility.
- Provide a copy of your Drivers License
- Provide one of the following as proof of domicile:
- Copy of your vehicle registration
- Copy of your income tax return Form 1040
- Copy of your voter registration card
Courses Exempt from Tuition Waivers
To qualify for a tuition waiver at UConn, veterans must be admitted to an undergraduate or a graduate degree program. The tuition waiver also applies toward UConn’s BGS and MBA programs. The amount of the waiver is the equivalant of the in state per credit tuition rate. Extention fund courses (courses paid for from student fees) – such as summer, intersession and non- credit courses do not qualify for the waiver. With the exception of veterans enrolled in degree programs that are offered in the summer and/or intersession that are in a strict sequence closed-cohort basis.